Sunday, September 18, 2011

I have silenced my flute


Early in August 2011, while browsing eBay one day, I had this idea of searching for any flute or even its parts because my flute sounded pretty airy which according to my google search was a problem of leaking pads.

I was amazed and surprised that after a few keystrokes in eBay's search box, a very long list of brand-new or used flutes is shown on the monitor of my notebook. Among them are a couple of sellers selling the velt pads at a price unbelievably cheap at about $15 including postage for a set of 16 velts. I immediately ordered one set thinking that with this money spent I would get perfect sound quality from my flute, what a good investment this action would be..

About two weeks later, the new pads arrived, and I was very excited because I anticipated a perfect flow of notes will be coming out of the flute replaced with the new pads. So I hurriedly opened the packaging; counted the number of pads received and then set out to proceed with my flute repading quest.

I have a great passion in DIY, and I am proud of having a magnificent records of fixing a lot of household items with only the most basic set of tools, and sometimes the spare parts I used in the repair are improvised. With all of the memories about my successfully repaired, household appliances, I had not any hesitation in buying a set of pads, because I was deeply immersed in the extraordinary pride from the marvelous historical records I have achieved.

While I was waiting for the arrival of the flute pads, I spend quite a lot of time browsing through the Internet for tips and the information relating to the repads of the leaking flute. With this helpful information, I found it was not difficult to disassemble all the key pads. Before long, the table was full of parts, tools and the old key pads.

After about three hours, all of the old pads were replaced by the new ones, and the parts were reassembled into a flute. By the time I was going to make test of the sound, I was nervous and was excited but never had I thought that the flute was already dead. I was shocked, completely shocked, for as soon as I blew the first mouthful of air into the mouth piece and heard nothing coming out of the flute, that was a shock mixed with some confusion. "How it is possible to be like this?" Except the B key, any other keys were totally gone.

The first thing on the next day I did was searching on the Internet about the experience I had yesterday night. Amazingly found a lot of other DIYers also had this kind of silly acts, some of them ended up sending their flutes to the hands of the professional flute technician for a rescue, costing them a fortune lot of money.

I had no choice but to take the action of repairing it by learning how others did from the website.

Up to the time of writing this post, I had only get notes of B, B-, A, G+, G, F+, F, E, D+, back. I have almost lost all my confidence in getting this damn problem successfully fixed by myself now, but my passion of playing flute is still strong. I'm wondering what my next step should head for as for the moment, my flute can only play very simple tunes with an even worse airy sound quality.

This might be the silliest thing I had ever done in my life.

2 comments:

Zara said...

You are more than welcome to come to our place, if you are in Auckland. DR.TOOT in Howick Auckland, or check out www.drtoot.com

Cheers Sean

Morris Chen said...

Hi, Sean,
Thanks for your offer of assistance. My flute has now been revived by myself. I had been learning by self-taught the skill of flute repadding for the past two years. I posted my story about how I repaired my flute just recently. The link is: http://molisang.blogspot.co.nz/