Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The wandering mind

According to a quote from a verse by an ancient master, "the mind is in constant wandering, once its wandering is ceased the Buddhahood will be revealed". I have never experienced what the Buddhahood is like, however, I have trust in ancient masters, so if this is what they concluded at their time and passed down through all these great number of generations, the verse must be true and that supreme spiritual state mentioned above got to be fantastic, and so I have been seeking for an effective path in a hope that I can attain a great enlightenment and really in full control of myself one day.

I listened to a live telephone interview broadcasted by a radio media in a Sunday morning show. A psychotherapist said in the show that our mind is wired to be wandering constantly, there is no way we can manipulate our brain to stop it from thinking. This saying from an expert makes me feeling defeated as I have been trying to find out the spiritual mechanism that I can set my mind to a certain mode, pause it or even totally cease it from functioning. I would hope this psychotherapist's knowledge of the activity of the brain is not true.

There must be a method with which we can succeed in achieving the goal of awakening, at least there is this Paramita Heart Sutra revealed this case that the Bodhisattva when in deep meditation realized the emptiness nature of everything in the universe. From this recorded text, we are convinced firstly by the script that meditation involved in the quest of the total awakening. Secondly we noticed the other ingredient is the required depth of the meditation. A loose and non-effective one is not helpful in the adventure. So we can conclude that a fruitful enlightenment consists of meditation, of a deep one and of a completely disciplined one.

Is the length of time of the meditation practice important? I take a faith in the "Yes". It must be one long enough for the energetic and wild mind to calm down. Most of the time we are fed up by the boring sit even for just a minute. Most meditation enthusiasts believe 20 minutes is the minimum time required to make us feel the mind is calming down, or less active. But this is still far away from the final objective to be achieved. So more time is added on top of the last, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, one hour or even one and half an hour. The longest one that I sat through was 2 hours, yet, my mind can still be easily distracted.

How do we know if we have achieved a good meditation? The supreme achievement is the enlightened state which we will perceive the emptiness nature of our consciousness function and attain a full control over the mind. It is listening to your command, focusing on the one point of thing only for as long as you want. In saying so, we must understand this is just a way of the depiction of that supreme achievement of the meditation practice in order to get the question answered, as a matter of fact emptiness has been applied over anything and everything that even a brief retrospection of what has happened before the enlightenment is achieved is unnecessary.

I have a progressive urge of mastering the Paramita as I have passed each day because the number of days I will have to achieve this state is in its countdown phase now. I anticipate 2022 is the year I will be disappeared from this planet physically. So I must put more effort into my quest for this life goal before it is too late. Yes, I did a 2 hour meditation for the first time yesterday. I should be more determined on this important life issue.

--the end--

No comments: